When you start out, you need to register as self employed with HMRC as soon as possible.

Often the easiest way is to register online by clicking here:


You will be asked to fill out an online form which details your personal details, details about your business. You need to do this even if you already complete a self assessment tax return.

As part of your registration you will also need to arrange to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions or obtain an small earnings exemption.

You need to register as self employed by 5th October after the end of the tax year in which your self-employment started. If you don’t HMRC may charge penalties.

If you would like some help to register as self employed, click here and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.